Friday, February 20, 2009

what a week

This is going to be a very boring post, so bow out now if you don't want to waste your time. I just have to record this for my own memory and write the craziness down before I forget :) I posted a lovely Valentine post last Saturday and within a couple hours of that, chaos began at the Hansen house. It all started with Austin spiking a random fever Saturday night, but with really no other symptoms I put him to bed as usual and prepared for a nights sleep myself. That night was interrupted with a couple crying episodes from the babe, but nothing I figured a little Tylenol couldn't fix.
Well, by Sunday mid-morning I was starting to feel feverish and when Dave & Jaxon left for Denver for the afternoon I was holding a very hot baby with my own case of the fever shakes coming on. I thought we'd just take a nice nap together and be able to rest while the house was quiet. Not so much. By mid-afternoon Austin's fever had reached 105.1 and I couldn't get it to come down with Tylenol or ibuprofen. Neither of us had been drinking fluids very well and when Dave called to check in on us we made an evaluation of our very lethargic, shaky, and very hot baby. One call to the Ask-A Nurse lady and we were headed to the emergency room. I always thought my first ER visit with a child would be a broken arm or cut open forehead or broken hand or something from my rambuncious boy, not a high fever from my calm and very mild baby. Anyways, 5 hours later and after 400ml of IV fluids, tests, and x-rays we knew Austin and myself had a bad case of strep. Yup, good ole strep. Austin's fever finally started to drop and we were able to go home with a 101.4 baby, instead of the 105.2 baby we arrived with. The staff was wonderful at the Sartori ER and they didn't even laugh when mom here fainted in the x-ray room...did I mention I hadn't eaten since Saturday early evening, hadn't really drank much, had a 103 temp myself, and was wearing a very heavy lead cover for the x-ray machine? I think the combo of it all just did me in! I quickly recovered of course and we ventured home to get comfy for the long night ahead.
Monday came and the doctor called back with Jaxon's strep test results...positive too. 3 for 4...not so bad. Dave was dodging us as much as he could, yet still doing what he could to care for his unhealthy gang at home. When mama is sick and both children are sick I have found that days will run like this...countless hours of cartoon watching, a 12 hour nap really of in and out state of minds, all 'living room rules" go out the window (much drinks and crackers will be on the couch these days), shower time will turn into a bath time with at least 1 or both children in there with you, a personal pharmacy located on your dining room table where you used to eat as a family...and so on. You get the idea.
Anyways, I really thought after 24 hours on antibiotics that we'd be feeling much better. This fever lasted for Austin and myself for 3 1/2 days... and not just little fever stuff. High fevers with cold sweats and shakiness and hot flashes and waking up in a puddle of sweat at least 2-4 times a day and rashes and very heavy dreaming and just yuckiness (is that a word?). Oh, man was I glad for the first night of sleep this week without getting up to change my pajamas because I had sweat so much through every piece of clothing I was wearing. Ew, gross.
Finally Thursday came and I was feeling ready to tackle the things all left undone during the week, but Austin was still just "not right". I noticed when he woke up his eyes were swollen but I thought it was from crying SO MUCH the last couple days. I also noticed a little bit of a rash on his back and tummy... a trip back to the doctor again confirmed what I thought MIGHT be happening. Of course. He's allergic to penicillin!!! Great! I felt so wonder he was so uncomfortable and crying constantly. (which is just not him at all- did I mention barely walking either?) Poor baby. Today we have him on a new antibiotic and benedryl and he's starting to smile again. Yay for good doctors and little smiles and new days and for our ultimate Healer in life. Here's to having kids when you are sick! :) These are the days I want to remember!


Becky Bartlett said...

I didn't know you fainted in the ER! :) Glad Austin is feeling a bit better today!!

jer said...

Gosh Jess...sorry to hear about this. Hopefully you all are feeling better.

Karen and Brett said...

Oh man Jess! I am glad to hear you are all feeling better! I am allergic (sp?) to Pennicillin and that rash is not fun! I am so excited after reading about your week to become a mom! haha I have a feeling you and Jen will have lots of good advice for the Williams family in the years to come :)